Saturday, December 22, 2012

MOMS Club Weekend

18 years ago I became a stay at home mom.  The real estate market had crashed and I had been working in a bank that did it's business centered in the real estate market.  So when Anthony was just about 6 months old I became a stay at home mom when the bank started laying off employees and finally closed.

I was looking forward to staying at home with my baby.  One of the things I didn't count on was the isolation that I felt.  All of my friends were working Moms.  I would meet them for lunch or do weekend things but I really missed the adult conversations during the week.

I thought I was going to lose my mind after a couple of months.  I opened the local paper and found an article about MOMS Club.  MOMS Club is a support group for stay at home moms.  It is a club that was started with the idea that we can only be good mothers if we first take care of ourselves.  One of those ways is to get out of the house and be around other mothers.  All the activities in MOMS Club include the kids. 

Just what I was looking for.  Most of the activities where at other Moms houses or at the park.  We were all Moms just looking to get out of the house and hang out with other Mothers feeling the same way we did.  Not only that, the kids were all about the same age as Anthony.

I started with this club back in California, helped form two different chapters when I moved to Washington.  I tried to get one going in Oregon but it never took root.  Instead, in Oregon I became a volunteer with International MOMS Club.  I started out reviewing websites and now I just was promoted to State Coordinator of 4 different states.  I have been a member for over 17 years and I keep in contact with so many of the Moms from my first chapter.

Why do I mention this now.  This past November I attended our regional luncheon.  It was a chance for all of us to get together and relax, get to know each other and have a great time.  We had Volunteers and chapters from Hawaii, California, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho there.

61459_10151094169811755_2015252494_n

 The picture above is off all the volunteers that help put the amazing luncheon together. Below is a picture of me with some of the other Oregon coordinators.

402552_10151094169636755_99535699_n

 This was such a great weekend. My only regret was that I had missed the last couple years. I am looking forward to next years.

No comments: