Monday, August 03, 2009

The Hand in the Pond

This small town and surrounding area can boast only 4 murders in the last 20 years. Well, that all changed over the last couple of days.

It is true they found a hand in a pond and that is all anyone said. The rumors started: multiple body parts, 3 people missing, body parts that don't match and serial killer. The editoral in our newspaper blasted the police dept asking to release more information.

Our county fair was this past weekend and we where all talking about it. Friday the sherrifs dept., issued a statement. One body, parts all match and 2 people of interest.

This is a town where our kids play outside, we sleep with our windows open, we sit out on our porches and talk to our neighbors. Friday I slept a little better. No serial killer and the police knew who they where looking for.

Todays paper: They found 2 more bodies and they had an arrest. I took comfort in knowing that the man is in jail. I just decided to read the rest of the paper later and finish up cooking my dinner (our paper comes in the evening). My Dad had been following the story because they where here when the hand was found. I told him about the latest news and while I was talking to my Mom he got online to read the rest of the story. The murder lived in our neighborhood.

I will post anymore updates as they appear in our paper. We are fine but it just reminds us that it doesn't just happen in the big city.

I will post happier stories tomorrow. Like the classic story of the county fair, 15 year old boy and 4 different girls. It's a nail bitter.

No comments: