Saturday, January 12, 2013

Nothing to Say

That can't be right.  I always have something to say.  

Our church has been struggling for the last couple of years with getting good solid youth programs up and off the ground.  It's not that we aren't trying.  And there is a lot of theory's about why they are working.  The kids have been telling us what they want for the last couple of years.  It's just trying to find something that not only the kids like but something that is OK with the church.

I think we have finally done it. Last year a fellow parish member mentioned to me a program called "Teen Life".  I mentioned it to our youth minister last year but there really wasn't an interest. The program is very expensive.  This year we got a new youth minister, but unfortunately we lost most of our high school youth.  My daughter was the only one interested.

She scheduled a meeting with Shannon (new youth minister) and discussed how much she really wanted an active high school youth group.  I then mentioned "Teen Life" again.  Shannon looked into it (it was her husband who talked to me about it to begin with).  Long story short.  If we pull all the 4 church's in the area together, suddenly the program is a little bit more affordable.  Plus, Shannon added the middle school and the young adults to the group. 

This Sunday is our kick off.  The kids seem very open minded about it and us parents who are involved are very excited.  I am super excited to be a part of this and a "Core Team" member.  I will be working with Shannon and the high school kids.  One of the things we are doing, is bringing these kids back to the Bible.  I know that sounds crazy to you non-Catholics.  But one of our biggest non-truths is that Catholics are not allowed to read the Bible.  So not true. 

Also, both Shannon and I have gone to Catholic schools.  We are finding ourselves reading the "Teen Life" material and saying, "I didn't know that."  I am so glad that my kids will be a part of this and that I am going through it as well.  Steve and I are finding that we are closer to our faith then we have ever been  before.  I am in no way dropping to my knees screaming Alleluia at the grocery store (not at these prices), but there is something good and positive going on in my life right now.

If you and your church is looking for a good, uplifting Catholic youth program. Check out Teen Life.  I think you will like what you see.

I guess I was wrong....................I did have something to say.

No comments: