Sunday, December 30, 2012

Elections In The Homeschool World

I think learning about how our government works is one of the most important things a kid can learn.
I figured that the best time to talk about elections is during the 2012 election.  It also opened up a lot of discussion with my two older kids.  As hard as it might be, I try very hard to give both sides to the discussion.  However, I always will say "now, how I feel is.....".

We watched the debates, ads and interviews.  Jason tried to figure out what was important to him. 

Jobs or the economy was important to Jason.  He doesn't care that we have to drive further to see the doctor or that we only have two choices in grocery stores.  But he does care that our drive inn will not be opening back up next summer, or that his favorite hobby store might close.

I thought a fun way to close out our unit on the elections, was to hold our own election. We did it on the actual election day.  And we did it old school.  Here in Oregon we use mail in ballots, but I wanted him to set up a polling place.

 533632_10151245648869161_191634789_n

It gave us a chance to talk about polling place laws and why they are there.  It also gave me realize just how much our garage needs to be cleaned.  He made polling signs, sign in sheets, ballots, ballots boxes and even "I voted" stickers.


549056_10151245649034161_1435492178_n

On the ballots he listed: Obama, Romney and Other (for write ins).  The whole family got a chance to vote.  Jason was tough, he even required ID to get your ballot.

Our elections in this house did turn out differently then the National election.

Romney: 3
Obama: 1
Bush: 1 

Jason on the debates:  "Mom....did they answer the question?"


No comments: