Saturday, September 05, 2009

1st Week of School

It went really well. I will have some pictures to post later because they are still sitting on my camera.

Megan is loving 7th grade. Select soccer has started and while she is enjoying it, the 8th graders are looking down on the lowly 7th graders. I told her not to worry about it she'll be a 8th grader next year and they will be lowly freshmen. She really likes this coach. He isn't the type who worries about their feelings. He pulls you out of the game, explains what you did wrong, how to improve and then puts you back in the game. Megan really likes it that way. She wants to know how to fix it and then let her back in to do it.

Jason and I have worked our way through the first week of home school. I am adding a few things to give him more of a challenge and backing off some of the stuff I am just not interested in teaching him. It's a Christian based program with a lot of christian stuff to teach. While I don't mind the Bible stories, I found some pretty anti Catholic stuff in one of the books. He goes to Sunday school (and his teacher is really awesome, just ask her) so I really don't think some of this is necessary. He took a geography test and aced it and bombed his spelling test. So I am going back to the way we did spelling last year. I bet he passes next week, no problem.

Anthony's first week has had some ups and downs. His classes are going to be tough but he is ready for it. He has also found a career path that he is interested in. He would like to be a nurse or something in that field. He has some pretty definite ideas and I am very proud of him. Football started this week as well. They did lose but only by three points. Last year they lost to this team by about 20+ points. He is first string corner on defense and backup receiver. He made a very cool tackle this last game and almost intercepted the ball. He is very jazzed about this season. Or should I say was. The above mentioned tackle left him with a broken thumb. In typical fashion, he finished the game and even went to another practice before he would let me take him to the ER. He is out for at least 3 weeks but the doctor was confident that he would only miss 3 games. The nurse tried to make him feel better but there was no consoling him. The nurse just shook her head and said "I don't understand you football players."

Anyway, we have a pretty mellow weekend planned. Steve and I are thinking about going to a movie tonight. That would be fun. Plus, we might have some friends over for a bbq. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

No comments: