Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Zombie Squirrel

Last week was Vacation Bible School. I have been doing this for the last couple of years. Over the years I have done it all. But this year I got to do the snack station. This made me the coolest person at VBS.

Megan stayed home for the first hour so she could do her paper route. She is a working girl now. As I left the house that day I noticed quite a storm coming over the mountains. I listened to the weather on the radio and realized it was going to be a bad one. I called Megan quick, let her know what was coming and call me if she gets nervous. She doesn't like thunder storms. The storm is bad but she makes it through it ok.

About 1/2 an hour later, she calls me in a pure panic. She hears a loud band (like a canon) that shakes our house and the power goes out. Not a problem, I tell her, just a transformer. Then the lights come on and start flickering and off again. She is in a full panic mode and won't go back in the house. I hop in the car and bring one of her friends with me, who is going to help her finish her route. I get home, sure enough no power and the lights flicker every once in a while. We are also the only house with no power.


I do what I also do in a crisis. Step out on my back porch and talk to the people in the retirement home behind me. No matter what, I can count on them.

She informs me that they do have power but there is a dead squirrel under the power pole. I make the call and an hour later we have power again. Megan and friend finish her route and meet me at the church. She did go out and check out the squirrel but I will save you from the details. Thank goodness she forgot there was a camera in the house.

Somehow during the course of VBS the subject of whether or not squirrels can become zombie's. Zombies freak Megan out. We start home, drop off my friends kids and get ready to turn into our alley. When Megan says, "If that squirrel is not still there, I am going to freak out."

The squirrel was gone. Megan yells, "I knew it, Zombie Squirrel."

It turns out the Lee, one of my neighbors, got rid of it for me. But now the conversation turns to, can Zombie Squirrels escape the garbage can? And isn't it strange how we haven't seen any squirrels around the house lately?

I will admit, we haven't seen many squirrels lately. Hummmm.

No comments: