Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Science Project Gone Bad

No, the science project didn't come alive or take over the house.  Although, Megan would have been very please if that were to happen.  Or if we found a way for her to grow zombies.

We started a very cool science project two weeks ago and it takes 4 weeks to complete.  We are studying the way plants grow by growing radishes.  It is very import for this project to work, to stay on schedule.  The book warns you to not miss a day.  Weekends are already figured in.  Well, last week Jason got sick.  I made sure the seeds had water and they did grow.  But the steps we were supposed to do last week didn't get done. 

No problem, we will just pick up where we left off.  It doesn't work like that.  That is why the book warned not to miss a day.  It was important last week to chart the seeds growth.  To see how water and sun effect the different seeds.  At one point, you have about 30 seeds growing in different environments.  It is a very cool project and one I don't want him to miss out on.  The book also encourages the teacher to read the whole book before starting.  Well.......there is the problem.  I do have issues with following directions.  Had I read the book, I would have realized how important it was to not skip a day and I would have pulled Jason out of his sick bed to work on the project.  I also have issues with schedules.  I love them, and must follow them.  Which leads to the next problem.

So today, Jason and I decided to scrap the whole thing and start again next Monday.  And now that makes my schedule off by two complete weeks.  And that is causing me serious stress.  Because in 3 weeks we will be starting a bean project that will work very much like this one.  You can't skip a day.  So at one point we will be doing both projects at the same time. 

I know, I know......I homeschool, change the schedule.  The homeschool police are not going to bang down my door and arrest me for being off schedule.  But I have a schedule and I must follow it. See my problem.

I discuss this issue with my youngest.  And ask his opinion.

Me, "So,  what do you think about this?"
Jason, "Do I still get spring break?"
Me, "ummmm......yes."
Jason, "Can I go play with Joey?"

He's OK with the change.

No comments: