Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sometimes I Hate Books


Part of Jason's home school program is read alouds. These are books that are a little above his reading level that I read to him. They usually go hand in hand with whatever we are learning about. We are learning about American Indians and it just so happens so is Megan.

I usually don't do read alouds during our normal school day. We usually curl up at bedtime and read them. We were a little bit behind this time because Jason kept falling asleep. So we pushed off today's history lesson to finish up the book. We here suppose to start a new one on Monday.

One of the advantages to using Sonlight is their message board forums. It is great to talk to others who are using or have used this same program. Well, I had read on the boards that this book was sad. I also read that it was hard to get into. Both Jason and I really enjoyed the book and had no problem getting into it. We both thought we had figured out the end, so we were prepared for the sad part.

As usual, we were wrong. We finished the last two chapters while sharing a box of tissues. I will say that we both enjoyed it. This one really held his interest. I have to laugh because all the books that people recommend for him, he hasn't liked. The ones that get the not so great reviews he loves. Go Figure.

This week we are mixing it up a bit with a big field trip with our home school group. This is really going to be fun and informative. It will be fun to see some of the things we have been talking about. This area is rich with things to do that we will be studying this year. I am so glad that we will be taking advantage of what the area has to offer.

No comments: