Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Waiting for the Snow

Looking back over the past few weeks, it seems like all I do is talk about the snow. Yes, we are waiting for yet another storm to come through. It sounds like 6 to 12 inches here in town and of course more in the mountains. And wind, can forget the wind.

On to something else besides the weather. SUPER TUESDAY!!!!! Being in Oregon, the primaries will pretty much be over by time I get to vote at the end of the month. I don't know if the actual election will be this exciting but it has been fun to watch. What I find fun is my discussions with both my 14 year old son and my 17 year old nephew. My son is watching and asking questions. Not a lot of opinions but just lots of questions about the process. My nephew on the other hand has lots of opinions. I don't think he and I share any of the same political views but I love talking about them with him. He either is listening to me and trying to understand my side, or he is just totally blowing me off and thinks I am crazy. Either way, he is being really polite about it. I like neither Hillary nor Obama and neither will be getting my vote. What I find refreshing is the young people and their passion for Obama. Even though I don't agree with them, I think it is great that they are taking an interest in something other then themselves. I do see in my nephew the influence of the school system. He had a project where he was to research both Rep. and Dem. views and write a report. His teacher gave him moveon.org as a good reference for finding view points. I took serious issue with that and don't believe that moveon is a good reference no matter what side of the political spectrum you find yourself on. I pointed him to the DNC and GOP websites and he found the info he was looking for. While I know that if he could vote it would not be the way I would, but I am just proud of him for having opinions and willing to talk to me about them. After talking and doing a lot of listening, I wish the school's could give these kids a good lesson on both sides of the issues and leave their personal opinions out. I try, when talking with my son, to give him both sides of an issue and then my opinion. However, when the subject of global warming, air pollution and the cars we drive came up, I did point out that his holier then thou teacher drives an SUV.

Ok, now that I have rambled on about this for long enough. I am going to go and put a dvd in and do some scrapbooking. I need to finish sorting the 650 pictures I just got back from the printers (469 more to go before I have 2007 done). Have a good Super Tuesday.....

No comments: