Friday, September 26, 2008

A Love To Read

I am not sure if I ever mentioned that my oldest Anthony has Dyslexia. He does wear glasses and that helps but reading will always be a struggle for him. Although he can read his football plays with no problem, go figure. To pass English he needs to earn 40 AR points. You earn AR points by reading books and taking the test on them. His theory was to pick a book that is worth a lot of points so all he would have to do is read 2 all semester. The book he chose is worth 25 points, is a long one and very small print. All things that are not necessarily good for him.

One of the things we do is work on the book together. There are a lot of benefits to this. He does love books and it gives him a chance to read books he might not be able to read on his own. I get to read books that I would not necessarily choose. Most important it gives him and I some one on one time that we don't get very often anymore.

Back to the book he choose. He knows that I have a love of GOOD horror books and movies. When I say good I mean, no slash em up types. I mean the good scare the pants off you like the Omens and movies like that. I am a huge fan of Stephen King. I don't read his books much anymore or see to many scary movies because my husband is gone a lot. I am just to old to stay up all night with all the house lights on and a baseball bat with me. I don't know how much a baseball bat would help me if that cute blond kid from "Pet Cemetery" stopped by to play WIFFFF me. You would understand if you saw the move. Major goose pimples on my arms. lol

Anyway..... The kid chose to read "The Shinning" by Stephen King. I have read the book along time ago and it lead to several weeks of not sleeping. I also own the movie that Steve and I watch at least once a year. We also watch all three "Omens" at Halloween time. Anthony thinks this is all too funny. Megan wants to read it with us and of course I said no way. "You are wwway to young." I was at least 11 (crap) when I read "Amityville Horror" and 12 when I saw "The Shinning" for the first time. Was I really that young when I started reading this stuff? My first Stephen King novel was the summer before I started 7th grade. Good Lord what where my parents thinking? HEHEHE

Again Anyway........I will keep you posted about how this book goes. Probably at 3:15 am in the morning when I can't sleep. Oh wait, not 3:15 NEVER that time. "Amityville Horror" anyone, the book not the movie.

Thanks MOM!!!!!

No comments: