Sunday, November 30, 2008

A New Christmas Perspective

Last year around this time, I sprained my shoulder. It left me flat on my back for a week and I really didn't gain all the use of my shoulder back until after the new year some time. I don't have to tell you that a week out of commission before Christmas can be a bit stressful. Steve and the kids really came through for me that week. One of the things they kept telling me, was everything will get down and it will be fine. You know what, it was fine.

One of the things I learned last Christmas was to let go of some of my control. I let the kids each have a pick of what cookie or candy they couldn't live without. Steve got a choice too. Then told them, if they wanted it, they could help me bake it. They did and it was a blast. I didn't let Steve help me but that is another story. I relied on the kids to help me decorate the house and let them help decide where to put things. Not where I would have put them but it turned out great. I cut way back on the Christmas crafts and the ones I did do for the teachers the kids helped with. Again, it was a great way to spend some one on one time with the kids. It is amazing what I learned about Megan while working with her on a craft project.

I guess my whole point of this post is, that Christmas is about spending time with the people we love. Some Christmas stress can't be avoided but most of it we bring on ourselves. No one in this house missed the dozens of cookies I didn't bake or noticed that frosty's hat was not blinking. They are however still talking about sleeping on the floor in our bedroom and watching Christmas Story on TV, and that I was with them watching because I wasn't still finishing up some little detail that just had to be done.

So this holiday season, join me in stepping back and enjoying the season.

No comments: