Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wrestling

I have mentioned this before and I still feel the same way, Wrestling is not my favorite sport. My son loves it and I will be the supporting Mother. First off, he is trying to drop weight. Not a lot but about 5 pounds. I will support his effort as long as he does this the healthy way. So far he has, so I don't have any complaints.

A couple of days ago he show me a little (the size of a pencil eraser) batch of dry skin on his arm. "What do you think his is," he asks. "Nothing, clean it good and we'll keep an eye on it." What he doesn't show me is his leg.


We make the 5 hour drive to Bend for a tournament. I love this town so we decide to make a weekend out of it. Steve found a great deal on a nice hotel. Fireplace, free breakfast, free Internet, kitchen and river view, Megan took pictures that will be posted later. We get call. "Mom, coach says I need to get to a hospital I might have staff. No, I don't think I am going to wrestle."


Steve gets on the phone and starts making calls. Anthony's bus isn't even here in town yet. Steve finds a hospital gets in the car and off to find Anthony's hotel. Finding a urgent care or hospital was not easy. We almost had to make a 40 mile drive to the next tow. The whole time I am thinking, really, his arm didn't look like anything.

Doctor says "Ringworm" which is what I thought. They get a prescription, releases for wrestling referees and they are back to our hotel by 10pm. I go to help Anthony with his med's and check his arm, when he pulls up his pant leg.

There on his leg is a patch about the size of a half dollar of Ringworm. Now with all my medical experience I still think ringworm not staff. Of course I have never seen staff but that's not the point. My first very Motherly reaction is "WHAT THE H*** IS THAT?" Next followed by a talk on how things like this are worth a quick mention.


After all was said and done, Anthony didn't get to wrestle. So today, we toured around Bend and had a good time. We are waiting for Anthony to finish watching the tournament and then out to dinner and swimming.

No comments: