Thursday, September 02, 2010

2 Years, 5 Months

CSC_2261

This is a hard post to write. Roger was given 3 to 6 months and he fought for 2 years and 5 months.

We got the call Friday the 20th that he had passed. On Thursday we struggled with what to do. Do we pack up and head back to Ca or just sit tight. We decided that Steve would take one more train out and we would leave as soon as he got home. I went into over drive. Suit cases started getting packed and we would leave early Saturday morning. Well, much like life, nothing every goes as planned.

We got the call, Steve rushed home and like clock work the kids did what we have been talking about for 2 years. Each one packed their bags and did what need to be done to get ready. We were just waiting for Steve. As a last minute decision I decided to hop in the car and help Megan do her paper route.

Half way through the route, she hopped in the car, I looked behind me and saw a truck aways back. I pulled out and was hit. Bent my rim and crunched the front left side of our new car. I was emotional and never should have been driving. Here is where I want to thank Logan and Denise at American Family Insurance. They knew what was going on and made calls around town to see what they could do to get this car back on the road as soon as possible. Thank you Cody at Les Schwab for getting the car ready to go as fast as he could. I can't say enough about these two companies. If you ever need insurance or tires, they are the places to go.

I did need to go to the ER to have my neck and shoulder looked at. The other driver was ok, just very hostile. She yelled at me, "didn't you see me!" Of course the answer was no. I mean really, yeah I saw you and decided I had nothing else to do but crunch my car!!!!!

Anyway we left Saturday morning after the car was fixed. Which was about 3 hours later then we originally planned to go.

We were relieved to finally be in Sacramento and with Steves family. The services were beautiful and I love it when people tell their favorite stories. We saw family and friends we haven't seen in years. Reconnected with old friends. And reaffirmed just how important friends and family are.

I am impressed with how well my Mother in Law has handled the whole thing. She is even thinking about visiting us during wrestling season. Poor thing, she has no idea what she is in for.

It was an amazing week. Tears, laughter and lots of swimming (over 100 degrees while we were there). Megan celebrated her 13th birthday. As I watched my kids over the week I realized just how grown up they are becoming and just how proud Steve and I are of them.

As the week started to whined down, I leaned over to Steve and whispered in his ear a line from "Steel Magnolias." "I don't know how you are holding up but your hair looks wonderful."

I love you all.

No comments: