Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Box Arrived

We had so much happening in August that I just never got to ordering Jason's school books. We have decided that I would home school him again this year. I did start Jason with school the same time the other two started back. We just did some review and started reading. The same basic thing they do at the public schools.

Yesterday the boxes came filled with books, science projects, math books and all kids of cool stuff. Even Jason got excited.


DSC_3553
He help me unpack the boxes and is still playing with all the packing paper. He wanted to take a look at all the books he would be reading this year. Sonlight is heavy on the reading. Both in Read A Louds (ones I will be reading to him) and Readers (ones he will be reading on his own). A couple of books have really sparked his interest.

I think this year is going to be fun. We are studying US history, plants, and biology. During the summer I picked up some books full of different projects to go along with history. I am a little stressed out about the spelling book that we will be working with. It's called Sequential Spelling and it was originally used to help teach dyslexics how to spell. Things used to help dyslexics always sparks my interest since Anthony has it. The book is completely different then anything I have ever worked with before. As I flipped through it last night, the method of teaching spelling was very interesting. It kind of makes sense. One of the great things about home schooling is I can do what ever works for Jason.

DSC_3557

The whole process of opening and organizing those boxes can be a little bit over whelming. Thanks Steve for being here and taking over last night. I could sit down, look over the books and get the lesson plans together. As you sit and look at all the books, you can't help but think, "how will we ever finish all this." But, I can speak from experience. We did it last year and loved it. Jason raised his reading level 2 grades, learned all kinds of things about history and amazed me with how fast he picks up math. I wasn't crazy about the science program last year, but this years looks better.

The best think about home school. As long as the weeks worth of work is done, we have Fridays off. Jason works hard to make sure that happens.

DSC_3559

No comments: